Monday, February 18, 2013

Ugh, I am so irritated...

I'm little irritated ... such a positive way to start off my post, huh? As you have read in previous blogs (from a long time ago), the UK has some very quirky things about it. Ugh, I am so irritated...

The other day I received a notice from Royal Mail saying that a piece of mail needed to be delivered to me, but I was unable to receive it because there was not enough postage on it. Ugh, I am so irritated...
I assumed it was a card or gift or something from my family for my birthday, and that something wasn't correct for its trip over the pond. The notice said I owed £1.09. I paid that online, so I would not have to spend more money on car diesel to drive to the far away post office. Ugh, I am so irritated...

Today, I received the piece of mail. It was a birthday card (not saying from who, sorry) - so nice of someone to send me a birthday card! But... Ugh, I am so irritated.... Because this piece of mail was not the standard size AND weight, it needed 9 pence more postage. And because of the 9P, I needed to pay that 9P PLUS a £1 handling fee. ONE POUND HANDLING FEE. For a card. Are you kidding me!?!?! Ugh, I am so irritated...
In the States, USPS will usually just deliver the mail... why punish the person receiving the mail? Exactly! Thank you, USPS, for understanding that it is not the receiver's fault. The postal service in the UK determines the amount of postage by the size and weight of the letter. All letters cost different amounts, so you cant just slap on a stamp and be good to go. Well, actually, YOU will be good to go, but the receiver will have to pay... and then, because of that kind but unkind gesture you made, you will go deep down into... well, I will just keep my mouth shut.

I'm on a roll now...

Another thing that is outright ridiculous is the amount I spent to get keys copied. Just a plain ole key cost me £5. And since I was getting two of them, that was £10. And I also needed an extra copy of our gate key, which looks like a Hogwarts key. That one key cost £8! So in total, that is £18... converted --> $28.15!!!! If you are not irritated at that, then you can go... well, I'll just keep my mouth shut. Oh and the hardware store does not do key copying. Ugh, I am so irritated...

Those right there, my friends, are first world problems at it's best. So, I will leave you with a few other first world problems that either I have encountered, Luke has encountered, my friends have encountered, or its just too funny not to share... 
All pictures are taken from Quick Meme






Reading these memes always helps me remember that my problems really aren't that big of a deal.
**thinking about how fortunate I am to have what I have**
**thinking about how much worse it could be**
**thinking that the things I complain about are absolutely ridiculous**

Have you ever had to pay to receive a piece of mail because there was not enough postage?

RANDOM FACT:
The least amount a person in the UK can spend on sending mail is 50p ($0.78) - no more than 9.5inL x 6.5inW x 0.2inD and 100g. 2012 Source

-Debbie-

3 comments:

  1. I've had to pay and it was way more than what you paid. It was very irritating indeed! Over here, you have to buy a PO Box to receive mail. Talk about irritating...we'll just use Ram's work address for now thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was more the fact that it was supposed to be a nice gesture.... hah!
      We would for sure use the work address! Ridiculous things!!

      Delete
  2. That is ridiculous! Then again, I suppose no good deed goes unpunished. Our poor USPS is no longer able to deliver the mail on Saturdays! Where's a bailout when you need it?!?!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...